Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Digital Storytelling

This week our project was to create a digital story using iMovie. iMovie is a default program installed into all Mac computer where you can create and edit videos. We had to create a storyboard, make the video, add transitions and captions, find free and copyright free music and finally publish the video to YouTube.

Overall, iMovie is a very easy program to use-that is, once you figure it out. Thanks to the instructions of our teacher, I was able to find where everything was relatively easy. However, I found that it was difficult trying to figure out how to edit the text of a caption after I had clicked away initially. I also found it hard trying to figure out how to change the duration of each slide (I finally figured out you had to take into account the time for the transition-aha!) Aside from that, I really liked the project.

I think that iMovie and digital storytelling can be very useful in the classroom. However, the use of this in a math classroom is a bit more tricky. If you are trying to create a digital story about solving a math problem then you can find one on YouTube already by Khan Academy. Otherwise, I believe it would be best to do something with more a history spin (such as the history of pi, biography of a mathematician, etc.). I believe that trying to explain mathematical concepts through a digital story is a very daunting task that can easily be overwhelming to the students.

You can check out the digital story I made below. On it you'll find a video encompassing this past year with the Boss Dance Company. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment