Thursday, April 12, 2012

ActivInspire

ActivInspire is a software program that allows the user to create flipcharts (sort of like interactive PowerPoint presentations). Our assignment was to create a flipchart on a topic in our field. I chose to make a flipchart on FOILing for an 11th grade Algebra II classroom.

Overall, I really liked this program. After learning about the different interactive things you could do with it, I found the program to be very useful. In addition, the interactive parts that I used in my flipchart are just one of the many ways to add interaction. I believe that this program allows for so much creativity for educators so that it can be used in any type of classroom. I appreciated that because so often I feel as if stretching these technology programs to math is a bit much. However, this one even had an equation generator, something integral to all math teachers (hehe!)

One thing I would change about this program was that I found it difficult to do basic functions. I couldn't figure out how to delete the text for the longest time (turns out you just have to delete all of it). I also found it rather frustrating that the different text color options were slightly different depending on where you chose it from. For instance, the side toolbar had a different purple than if you went to the dropdown menu up top. They're close, yes, but different. Aside from that, all of my other complaints come from me assuming all of the tools would work the same in ActivInspire as in PowerPoint, which is my fault.

This can be used in the classroom in many ways. It can be used to teach a lesson with the pen and using the lock function you can lock down certain figures to use during the class (which would help mitigate the poor circles and shapes that so many geometry teachers can never draw). It can also be used to aid the students by having them work out problems or interact with the board. You could have different games where the students have to race to solve problems already on a slide or something. Finally, you can use the clicker quizzes to help assess the students knowledge of a learned topic. Overall, you can use ActivInspire in a myriad ways to enhance the classroom. I thoroughly enjoyed this project and learning how to use the software.

No comments:

Post a Comment